This two-ingredient pumpkin cake is so delicious that you will be surprised at how easy it is to make! It has all the flavor of pumpkin pie spice and only takes 30 minutes to make!
Everyone seems to get a pumpkin spice craving every fall. But this cake is just too good to only eat in the fall!
This was inspired by my 2 ingredient pumpkin muffin recipe on this site. I have received so many questions on how to make a cake version. Here it is!
Why I love this cake
- This is one of the quickest ways to satisfy a pumpkin spice dessert craving!
- It tastes delicious!
- The items are shelf stable items from your pantry. Just cake mix and canned pumpkin. Oh, and if you have a container of grocery store icing, that's a great topping!
- Easiest cake to make! Dump, stir and then bake.
- Great recipe for kids to make because it's so easy with so few items
Table of contents
Yes, only two ingredients are necessary for this pumpkin spice cake. But, you do have the option to add icing if you'd like. For me, it depends on the day or the occasion this is made for.
- Spice Cake Mix - I prefer the Betty Crocker spice cake mix. It's my go-to since it tastes great and I've never had a problem with it.
- 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree. It is the smaller can (15-ounce) that you need to buy. And do make sure it is not the pumpkin pie mix. Pumpkin pie mix has additional ingredients that we don't need. You want pure pumpkin in the can!
- Icing (optional). When I use this boxed cake mix shortcut, premade icing is totally fine! I enjoy the cream cheese frosting flavor on this 2 ingredient cake.
Truly, this is one of the easiest pumpkin desserts you can make. The mixture of a can of pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice flavor cake mix amazingly tastes so much like fall! That's why I love it.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 1 Only add canned pumpkin and cake mix to your bowl. Do NOT add the other ingredients from the back of the box.
Step 2 The batter is thick when mixed. But, that is how it is supposed to be.
Step 3 Use nonstick cooking spray in your 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Put mixed batter into baking dish.
Spray the back of the spoon with no stick spray when smoothing out the dough. This will help you smooth the dough much easier.
The batter will be thick and will bake in the shape it is put into the baking pan so smoothing it is helpful.
Step 4 Bake approximately 25 minutes. Use a toothpick and insert it into the center of the cake. The cake is done when the toothpick comes out clean.
After the cake cools, it's your option if you would like to frost this cake.
This recipe was inspired by so many questions on my 2 ingredient pumpkin muffin recipe. If you are looking for the muffin details, just click on the blue link. Looking for a 2 bite pumpkin baked treat? Try these easy and delicious pumpkin quickies cookies! Making as a 2 Ingredient pumpkin loaf is a good idea if you don't have any intention of adding icing.
Cover the top of the baking dish with plastic wrap (or aluminum foil) and refrigerate when storing. An airtight container also works! I would recommend keeping the cake in a single layer. This delicious pumpkin cake can be stored for 3-4 days if refrigerated.
This can be frozen if well wrapped for about a month.
Pumpkin pie filling has more spices and a sweetener like sugar. This recipe is made with pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin).
Correct. You only use the pumpkin puree and spice cake mix. If you wish, you can add your favorite icing (store-bought is great!). If you really feel you need to add something, you can add a beaten egg. It will make the finished cake a little fluffier.
Yes, yellow cake mix works. Just add approximately 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice seasoning to get that nice pumpkin spice flavor.
Other easy pumpkin dessert recipes.
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 oz pure pumpkin
- 1 container Cream cheese icing Optional - ready made & store bought
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 11 x 13 bake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom and two long sides with parchment paper.
- Mix the contents of the canned pumpkin into the spice cake mix in a large sized bowl. It will be a thick batter. Do NOT add the ingredients from the cake instructions on the back of the cake mix box.
- Spread evenly into your baking pan. I recommend smoothing the top of the batter with a large spoon (spray nonstick cooking spray on the back of the spoon - the batter is sticky).
- Baking time is approximately 30 minutes. Check if it is done by inserting a toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, remove from oven.
- Cool then spread optional ready made icing.
I loved the flavor of this and of course added the icing!