Shortbread cookies don't last long in my house. I really need to make shortbread more often. This batch didn't even last the day and this batch made 2 ½ dozen. I did add a chocolate drizzle and that made them look soooo good. Really, shortbread cookies do look a little boring unless they are dressed up a bit. For some reason, I seem to really, really like to add a little chocolate to my recipes when I make them in the afternoons. Yes, the little bit of chocolate I add just cheers me up!
Four Ingredient shortbread cookies
These aren't fancy cookies. They are traditional, no fuss cookies. That just taste good when you need that little something. And they don't take long. You can be as fussy as you want. I didn't even use a rolling pin when I made these. I just flattened and spread the dough by hand. One less thing to clean!
These shortbread cookies are perfect with a cup of coffee. Or, like my hubby, with your afternoon tea. I guess it's the British background. Or maybe, just the Canadian background. Whatever it is, these are a great treat! The bonus is, they are easy to make and taste great!
Printable recipe for shortbread cookiesPrint
Shortbread cookies – scratch recipe with 4 ingredients!
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ lb butter (2 sticks
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Cream together softened butter with icing sugar. Yes, that means you need to take the butter out and let it warm to room temperature. If you forget, cut the butter into smaller pieces so it warms quicker.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add vanilla and make sure it's well incorporated.
- Roll out dough to about ⅓ thickness. It is easier if you roll out the dough on parchment paper or some other non-stick surface.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies (or a glass or whatever you have around). I love my cutter since there is no unused ought between the cookie cuts. My cookie cutter is about 1 inch by 2 ½ inches and my baking time is perfect for that. If your cookies are smaller, you need a little less time. Larger, a little more time.
- Bake 10 minutes, watching closely. Shortbread cookies don't look very different when they are baked. When they just start browning on the bottom, they are done. That's when they start, not when they are!
- Add chocolate drizzle, if you like. I melted about ½ cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe small glass bowl. About 30 seconds then stir. Repeat until smooth when stirred. Now scrape the chocolate into a plastic baggie and cut a little hole in the corner. Squeeze your chocolate onto your cookies.
- Refrigerate if you want the chocolate to harden quickly
Looking for another super simple scratch recipe? Try these three ingredient peanut butter cookies. Easy, quick and taste wonderful!