Special K Cereal Bars - no-bake
Special K bars are a chocolate & peanut butter cereal bar treat. They have a chewy texture and are a delicious no-bake dessert bar. Easy to make and take less than 30 minutes to put together!
I was making these Special K Bars the other day, thinking my kids would love this chocolate, peanut buttery treat. Then my older son says, Oh wow! Scotcheroos!! It seems they are a favorite of his and they make them where he works.
Scotcheroos - The difference between Special K bars and Scotcheroos
It's easy! Special K bars use Special K cereal as the base. Scotcheroos use Rice Krispies cereal. Technically Scotcheroos are a Rice Krispie treat!
1 cup light corn syrup (found in the baking aisle - Karo is easiest to find)
1 cup sugar
1 cup smooth Peanut butter (Use a brand like Jiff or Skippy - don't use an all-natural peanut butter because the recipe may not turn out as well)
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
In a large saucepan, add Karo syrup and sugar. Heat on medium heat until just melted and starting to boil. I usually watch for the bubbles on the side of the pot. Add peanut butter and stir until just smooth.
As soon as you have added the peanut butter, turn the heat off. Stir until smooth and remove from heat. Do not overheat this mixture, that is what can make these bars hard.
In a large bowl, add the sugar and peanut butter mixture onto six cups of Special K cereal.
Dump the cereal, peanut butter, and sugar mixture into a well-greased or sprayed 9 x 13 casserole dish. I line the dish with parchment paper. Use a greased spoon to flatten the cereal mixture in the dish.
Using a double boiler melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together. OR, a pot on low and watch it very carefully! Stir gently to help melt and combine.
Pour melted chocolate and butterscotch chips on top of cereal mixture, spreading quickly so you have a nice thin even layer. Work quickly so the chocolate doesn't harden before it's all spread.
Cool slightly and then cut into squares. It normally takes at least an hour in the fridge to fully cool. The reason I like having parchment is you can take out everything in one piece. Then it's easier to cut into squares.
I like cutting it into smaller pieces, roughly 2 square inches.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. They can be refrigerated but should be allowed to come to room temperature piror to eating or they will be hard.
Special K Bars (Scotcheroos)
A delicious peanut butter & chocolate dessert with a Special K cereal base. Easy to make and a no-bake recipe. If you like peanut butter with chocolate, you'll love these!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes plus cooling time
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, add corn syrup. Add sugar. Bring to a gentle boil and stir for about a minute.
- Add the peanut butter. Stir until well combined and take off heat
- Add peanut butter mixture onto 6 cups cereal in a large bowl.
- Stir gently until cereal is evenly coated.
- Press into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish (best .
- (I love using the gloves I bought at restaurant supply store. Not only do they keep your hands clean, you don't burn your fingers as easily with hot ingredients - baggies work too!)
- Gently heat both the butterscotch and chocolate chips until melted. You should use a double boiler. I just use a heavy saucepan and low heat but I watch it very carefully and constantly stir. Don't overheat or the chocolate changes texture and isn't smooth.
- Once the chips are melted, pour over the cereal mixture and spread evenly. It's a fairly thin layer and that's all you need!
- Place in refrigerator to cool - about an hour.
- Cut into small squares (or large ones if you are feeding teens 🙂 ).
Easy peanut butter and chocolate no-bake recipe.
Keywords: Special K Bars, cereal bar, peanut butter and chocolate, Scotcheroos,
These squares are awesome if you like peanut butter and chocolate! They are a great snack and are super easy. And the bonus is, they are a no-bake recipe.
Do you have any favorite no-bake recipes? If so, please let me know!
My family's other chocolate and peanut butter favorite is Puppy Chow (or some call it Muddy Buddies).
Easy and delicious peanut butter cookies -
**Initially published Oct. 29,2014.