Scotcheroos (also called Special K Bars) – Chocolate & peanut butter treat
This is the recipe I forget to make for a while. But when I do, these Special K Bars are devoured! They are super popular with my kids and their friends. These chocolate & peanut butter cereal treats are a delicious no-bake recipe.
I was making these Special K Bars the other day, thinking my kids would love this chocolate, peanut buttery treat. Then my older son says, Oh wow! Scotcheroos!! It seems they are a favorite of his and they make them where he works. And, I didn’t know he liked them. Teenagers!
Ingredients for Special K bars | Scotcheroos
1 Cup Karo corn syrup (found in the baking aisle)
1 cup sugar
1 cup Peanut butter
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips.
Directions to make Scotcheroos | Special K Bars
In a large saucepan, add Karo syrup and sugar. Boil gently until just melted. Do not overdo the boiling because it will make the final treat hard. Add peanut butter and stir until just smooth.
Stir in cereal until it is evenly coated with the sugary mixture. Stir gently, by just turning the cereal over in the liquid.
Dump the cereal, peanut butter and sugar mixture into a well greased or sprayed 9 x 13 casserole dish. Use a greased spoon or your hands (in greased thin gloves) to flatten the cereal mixture in the dish.
Using a double boiler melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together. Stir gently to help melt and combine.
Pour on top of cereal mixture, spreading quickly. This is a thin layer.
Cool slightly and then cut into squares. I find it cuts easier if you cut it before the squares are fully cooled and hardened. It normally takes at least an hour in the fridge to fully cool. Enjoy these bars!
Scotcheroos – Special K Bar recipe PrintablePrint
A delicious peanut butter & chocolate dessert with a Special K cereal base. Easy to make and a no-bake recipe. If you like peanut butter with chocolate, you’ll love these!
- 1 cup Karo syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, add Karo syrup. Add sugar. Bring to a gentle boil and stir for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and then add the peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Add cereal.
- Stir gently until cereal is evenly coated.
- Press into a 9 x 13 casserole pan.
- (I love using the gloves I bought at restaurant supply store. Not only do they keep your hands clean, you don’t burn your fingers as easily with hot ingredients – baggies work too!)
- Gently heat both the butterscotch and chocolate chips until melted. You should use a double boiler. I just use a heavy saucepan and low heat but I watch it very carefully and constantly stir. Don’t overheat or the chocolate changes texture and isn’t smooth.
- Once the chips are melted, pour over the cereal mixture and spread evenly. It’s a fairly thin layer and that’s all you need!
- Place in refrigerator to cool – about an hour.
- Cut into small squares (or large ones if you are feeding teens 🙂 ).
Easy peanut butter and chocolate no-bake recipe.
Keywords: cereal bar, peanut butter and chocolate, Scotcheroos, Special K bars
These squares are awesome if you like peanut butter and chocolate! They are a great snack and are super easy. And the bonus is, they are a no-bake recipe.
Do you have any favorite no-bake recipes? If so, please let me know!
My family’s other chocolate and peanut butter favorite is Puppy Chow (or some call it Muddy Buddies).