Puppy Chow Recipe a chocolate and peanut buttery treat!
This recipe is also known as Muddy Buddies
Puppy Chow is the snack my teen regularly went out to BUY. He loves puppy chow! But, it's expensive for how much you get. These are also called Muddy Buddies in some stores. One day, as a surprise, I made a huge batch. They are so easy to make and use really common ingredients normally found in your pantry.
***For those of you not familiar with what Puppy Chow is, it is a HUMAN SNACK.***
This stuff can be addictive! With chocolate, peanut butter and then some icing sugar, who can resist? My kids came home and were thrilled that I had made them puppy chow! Sometimes, just sometimes, I get told that I am an AWESOME Mom!
This is super easy to make. And, it's a very standard recipe that everyone seems to use.
(Take a look at the step by step instructions, then print out the recipe at the bottom).
Ingredients for Puppy chow:
9 cups square woven cereal (I used 3 cups each of Chocolate Chex, Life and Crispix)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup butter
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
Mix all 9 cups of cereal in a large bowl. You can do the same kinds I did or any kind of similar cereal.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Microwave 45 seconds then stir. Microwave in additional 20-second increments until everything is melted and stirs together smoothly. When the chocolate chips are mostly melted, you can stir and they will finish melting when you stir. Add vanilla and stir in.
Add melted ingredients into the large bowl containing cereal.
Stir until well combined. Honestly, this is where it's much easier to get the cereal well coated if you get your hands in there! I use thin disposable gloves when I do messy kitchen jobs like this!
After everything is well coated, divide evenly into two one-gallon plastic zip-lock type bags.
Add about ¾ cup of powdered (icing) sugar into each bag.
Close and shake until evenly coated.
Place puppy chow on a parchment paper-lined jelly roll (or cookie sheet) to cool.
Once this deliciousness cools, place it into a sealed container. I'd suggest refrigerating it if you have room. Otherwise, just eat it : ).
Storing your batch of cereal chocolate and peanut butter goodness!
The question I get asked the most is how to store this. After you have made your batch of puppy chow, let it fully cool for a few hours. I put mine into sealed containers (like Tupperware containers) and store them in a dark cool place. I have kept this for over a week and it still tasted fresh and delicious! Make sure the puppy chow is cool! It gets soggy if it's too warm when put away.
Printable recipe for Puppy Chow | Muddy BuddiesPrint
This is one of my kid's favorite cereal based treats. Delicious chocolate and peanut butter sweet treat. Use Chex cereal as the traditional cereal base or mix it up with some suggestions included. Makes a big batch that can be given away as gifts - think teacher gift, Father's Day, houseworming etc.
- 9 cups square woven cereal (I used 3 cups each of Chocolate Chex, Life and Crispix)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup Peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Mix all 9 cups of cereal in a large bowl. You can do the same kinds I did, or any kind of similar cereal.
- In a microwaveable bowl, put butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips. Microwave 45 seconds then stir. Microwave in additional 20 second increments until everything is melted and stirs together smoothly. Add vanilla and stir in.
- Add melted ingredients into large bowl containing cereal.
- Stir until well combined. Honestly, this is where it's much easier to get the cereal well coated if you get your hands in there!
- After everything is well coated, divide evenly into two one gallon plastic zip lock type bags.
- Add about ¾ cup of powdered (icing) sugar into each bag.
- Close and shake until evenly coated.
- Place on a parchment lined jelly roll (or cookie sheet) to cool.
- Once this deliciousness cools, place into a sealed container. I'd suggest refrigerating it, if you have room. Otherwise, just eat it : ).
To store, make sure the puppy chow is totally cooled. Keep in a sealed container. I've kept it for 1 ½ weeks and it still tasted delicious and fresh.
Hope you like this recipe as much as my family does!
Other family favorite snack recipes!
Blueberry - Lemon Muddy Buddies. A delicious twist on traditional chocolate and peanut butter muddy buddies.
Scotcheroos, also known as Special K bars. Another chocolaty, peanut buttery treat!
Let me share another family favorite snack. This one makes a huge batch.
Bits and Bites (aka Nuts and Bolts or Chex Mix) This is such a delicious, flavorful mix. Did I tell you it makes a HUGE batch?