These chocolate chip cookie bars made with cake mix are delicious! They are quick and easy to make and only have 4 ingredients. Since we use a cake mix, maybe they should be called cake bars?
This is one of the easiest cookie bar recipes that I have made! They are moist and chewy and have a ton of chocolate chips in them. These cake mix cookie bars take less than 30 minutes to complete. Perfect for when you have a craving for chocolate chip bars!
Table of contents
Why is this bar recipe one of my favorites?
- There are only four ingredients (one is a yellow cake mix).
- It's a one-bowl recipe and takes less than 30 minutes.
- My kids liked these cake bars way more than cake for their birthdays!
- Ice cream is delicious with these!
Yellow cake mix is my favorite base for this cake bar. Stock up when they are on sale!
Canola oil - Canola oil has a more neutral flavor than olive oil.
Large eggs - it's worth using those valuable eggs for this recipe!
Chocolate chips - I use either milk chocolate or semi-sweet.
Substitutions and Variations
Chocolate chocolate cake mix cookie bar would be delicious! Use chocolate cake mix and chocolate chips!
M & M addicted? Substitute those for chocolate chips!
Don't have canola oil? Use vegetable oil. You can also use ¼ cup of melted butter as an alternative too.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix eggs and oil in a large bowl. Once combined, add cake mix.
Set aside about ½ a cup of chocolate chips. Fold in the balance of the chocolate chips. The dough will be stiff.
Empty dough from the bowl into a well-sprayed (cooking or baking spray) 11 x 13 casserole dish or baking pan.
Smooth the dough and press down so it's even. Sprinkle reserved chocolate chips on top of the dough.
Spray one side of a stiff spatula with either cooking or baking spray and use that to spread the dough. It won't stick to the spatula, and spreading it will be easier.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Check if it is done by inserting a toothpick and see if it comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into squares. I cut this size pan into 24 squares (cookie-sized).
Yes. Adjust baking time accordingly (the back of the box will often guide you on that).
For this recipe, use one egg and add 3 tablespoons of water. It's better with two eggs, but I've used one before!
Yes. Add up to one teaspoon.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star review and a comment.
Easy Cookie Bars with Cake Mix
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 package chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat eggs and oil. Stir in cake mix. Dough will be stiff. Add 1 tablespoon water if too stiff to stir.
- Fold in chocolate chips, reserving ½ cup to sprinkle on top just prior to baking.
- Transfer dough from bowl to 11 x 9 casserole dish or baking pan. Smooth dough and press flat with a stiff spatula or large spoon sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle reserved chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 18 - 20 minutes until toothpick poked in bars comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. I cut this size pan into 24 cookie sized pieces.
Please pin it to your Pinterest account.