This three-ingredient pineapple cupcakerecipe with cherries goes back to this blog's roots. Many of the food recipes I wrote about were easy, quick, and tasted good!
This two-ingredient cupcake is perfect when you want a light flavored and light calories dessert or treat! Everyone loves upside-down pineapple cherry cake This is a much simpler version that is just as delicious but easier to make. The cherries are a fun topping - plus a little cherry juice from the container!
This 2 ingredient pumpkin muffin recipe is the most popular muffin recipe on this blog! Try it and you'll see why.
Table of contents
Why these easy pineapple cupcakes are great!
- They taste good. Don't make something just because it's easy! Make it because it tastes good and the bonus is it's easy.
- This pineapple dessert is a lovely fresh-tasting change from heavier desserts.
- Did I tell you it's only 2 ingredients? Then you can top the cupcakes with a maraschino cherry. I also like adding a little bit of the cherry syrup from the container on top of the cupcakes.
- Both the cake mix and the cherries are pantry items. Keep them on hand if you need a quick treat or snack.
1 box angel food cake
1 20 oz can of CRUSHED Pineapple
Maraschino cherries (optional)
If you want to make this but only have a yellow cake mix at home, go ahead and use it. It will still be an easy and delicious treat. It just won't have the same texture as the angel food cake.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix a box of Angel food cake with a 20 oz can of pineapple in a larger bowl.
Grab your most favorite mixing spoon (I still have mine!) and hand mix.
This batter is foamy when mixed. That's what it is supposed to be like. Do not overmix.
Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill the cupcake wells ¾ full. Use an ice cream scoop so it's easier to keep the pan clean. Plus, it helps you be more consistent in the amount of dough you use for each portion.
A reminder - when the cake mix and the pineapple get mixed, the resulting batter is a little bubbly.
This recipe makes 24!
Bake at 350F for 18 minutes. Poke with a toothpick to test if done.
Step 5 (optional)
I like serving these with Maraschino cherries on top. Poke each cupcake three times with a straw.
Put about a teaspoon (or more) of the cherry juice that comes in the maraschino cherries on top of each cupcake. The holes you made with the straw let the cherry juice get into the cupcake.
Then of course, you need to put a cherry on top!
These cupcakes are very moist and have the best flavor! Especially with the cherries. Kids think this is pretty fancy!
Prior to putting cherries and syrup on, these cupcakes can be stored wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
May also be frozen. Do not put the cherries and syrup on prior to freezing. Wrap individually for up to 1 month.
Yes! Use the baking instructions on the back of the cake mix as a guide for the temperature and baking time.
You will need to put the pieces into a blender and pulse the blender until you get the consistency of the crushed pineapple. The angel food cake is a light batter and fruit pieces will sink.
Other cake mix cupcake and muffin recipes
Three Ingredient Pineapple Cupcakes with Cherries!
- 1 box angel food cake
- 1 can pineapple 20 oz crushed pineapple
- 1 jar marachino cherries optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners (makes 24 cupcakes)
- Mix cake mix with can of pineapple. Use all the juice and crushed pineapple in the can. Batter will be bubbly (frothy)
- Do NOT add any other ingredients (like those listed on the box).
- Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full. Makes 24 cupcakes
- Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.
- Optional Steps - After the cupcakes have cooled slightly, poke three holes in each cupcake with a straw.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of the maraschino cherry juice into each hole.
- Add a cherry on top : ).
Hope you enjoy!
*Originally published Feb. 15, 2015.