When you have a craving for something cherry pie flavored, this 3 ingredient cherry cobbler is the quickest and easiest way to satisfy that craving. You'll be impressed with how delicious and easy this cherry dessert is to make! There is a good chance you already have the three ingredients you need at home.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I love making simple fruit and cake mix desserts! If you are looking for an apple-style dessert with only three ingredients, try this three-ingredient apple spice cake. Blueberry craving? This easy blueberry cobbler is a similar recipe using blueberries.
Why I love this
- Forget complicated recipes and fussy techniques. This cobbler requires just yellow cake mix, canned cherries, and butter, making it a simple dish for beginners and baking experts alike.
- This is easy to make. Mix, stir, bake, and then serve.
- It uses simple pantry ingredients that you can store at home. The ingredients are inexpensive and have a delicious flavor that reminds you of cherry pie. But, it's easier and much quicker to make!
- This recipe is bursting with the sweet-tart goodness of canned cherries, and this cobbler is a celebration of juicy, vibrant cherry flavor in every bite.
Table of contents
- Yellow cake mix. It doesn't matter what brand. If you don't have a yellow cake mix on hand, chocolate tastes great with cherries too!
- Two cans of pie cherries (21 oz each). That would be the larger (but not huge) can.
- 1 stick of butter. Salted or unsalted, it doesn't matter; either one will taste good.
Were you looking more for a scratch cake? Try my quick and easy cherry bars. There is a little more assembly involved but they are still easy and delicious.
I use a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Spray your casserole dish with nonstick baking spray.
Dump the cherries into the bottom of the casserole dish.
I challenge you not to try one of these cherries! Of course, you need to taste test : ).
Add the cake mix on top of the cherries. You want an even thin layer. Just the dry cake mix. Do NOT use the other ingredients listed on the box. Do not stir!
Slice a stick of butter into thin slices. The more slices you have, the better your topping is!
Bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes until the topping is golden brown. There are usually spots where the cherry filling bubbles up.
Look at the end result below! Yum!
If you have a few dry spots, give the top a quick spray with no-stick spray and put it back in the oven for about 5 minutes, and it will make everything nice, brown, and yummy-looking. See the FAQ tip further down.
Here's the finished dessert! It tastes so good! If you like cherry pie, this is the easiest way to get all the taste and flavor of cherry pie without fuss. Of course, a little scoop of ice cream adds to the deliciousness!
How to store and reheat
This stores well in the refrigerator for five days if wrapped or in a sealed container.
This easy cobbler recipe can be frozen, but that may affect the texture. Since this is such a quick and easy recipe to make, I would only freeze it if it's because you have leftovers (not because you are trying to make it ahead). Thaw to room temperature and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees before serving.
Spray some baking or cooking spray on the dry spots. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Chocolate cake mix and pie cherries taste superb together. You'll love the flavor!
To make this recipe, you don't add them. You use the dry cake mix straight from the box. Honest. It might look funny, but it turns out great.
Other easy fruit cobbler desserts
We'd love it if you would come back and leave a 5-star rating!
Three Ingredient Cherry Cobbler with Cake Mix
- 2 cans cherry pie filling 21 oz each pie cherries
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter salted or unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with no-stick spray.
- Dump two cans of canned cherries into casserole dish.
- Spread cake mix evenly over the cherries. You are using the dry cake mix with no additional ingredients.
- Thinly slice one stick of butter. The more slices, the better! Spread them on top of the cake mix.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Watch for the color to be a delicious golden color.
- If you notice at 30 minutes that there is dry, cake mix, take it out of the oven and spray a bit of non-stick spray on the dry parts. Put it back in the oven for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes).
Nutrition information is an estimate only provided as a courtesy using an ingredient database. Garnish and optional ingredients are not included in the calculations.
Please pin it to your Pinterest board.
Originally published May 25, 2020.