This chocolate cherry dump cake is a delicious and easy dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is sure to become a family favorite! With only three ingredients and only 30 minutes to bake, you'll love how fast it is to make!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
This dump cake recipe has been modified to avoid people's complaints about the dry cake mix patches. With just an extra step (it only takes a minute), the chocolate topping is consistently buttery and looks delicious! If you want to try another wonderfully easy but flavorful cake, try this Easy Strawberry Dump Cake or this Easy Blueberry Cobbler.
Table of contents
Why I love this recipe
- Chocolate and cherries are just meant to be together. This easy dump cake puts these two wonderful flavors together.
- This is an easy dessert that takes just 30 minutes to bake and less than 10 minutes to assemble.
- You probably have the three ingredients you need at home. If you don't, you probably will from now on!
- This recipe solves the issue of having dry patches on top.
Just three ingredients, and you have an easy dessert!
- cherry pie filling - 2 cans (21 ounces each)
- Chocolate cake mix - I like Betty Crocker
- Butter - salted ½ cup (1 stick)
If you are grocery shopping, you might want to pick up some ice cream or whipped topping for this. It goes really well with this dessert!
If you forgot to buy a chocolate cake mix, devil's food cake is great too! Or heck, if you don't have a chocolate-type cake mix, you can just call it a cherry dump cake and make it with a yellow cake mix.
As for the butter, salted or unsalted work, either is fine. I normally have salted butter at home, so that's what I use.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray your 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
Pour the cherry pie filling into the prepared baking dish.
Melt the butter. You don't want it hot, just melted.
In a bowl, mix the cake mix with the butter until it looks like large crumbs.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. With chocolate cake, it's hard to see if it's browning, so watch to see if the pie cherries are bubbling.
Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Some whipped topping or a scoop of ice cream elevates this dessert to the next level!
I have started mixing the cake mix with melted butter and spreading that on top of the fruit layer. A traditional dump cake is made by slicing the butter into thin slices and placing them on top of the dry cake mix that has been spread onto the fruit. Some areas that aren't covered with the butter slices can be dry using that method.
Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let it come to room temperature or heat in the microwave before serving. I don't freeze this.
Nope! We are using the cake mix but following the steps in this recipe post.
In this recipe, we mix the butter and the cake mix before dumping it on the cherries. This avoids the issue of the dry cake mix spots.
Other Dump Cake Recipes
Come back and give this recipe a 5-star rating!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 cans cherry pie filling 20 oz cans (2)
- ½ cup butter (one stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉.
- Spray your 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour the cherry pie filling into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the butter. You don't want it hot, just melted. In a bowl, mix the cake mix with the butter until it looks like large crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. With chocolate cake it's hard to see if it's browning so really watch to see if the pie cherries are bubbling.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate only provided as a courtesy using an ingredient database. Garnish and optional ingredients are not included in the calculations.
Please pin it to your Pinterest account!