I vividly remember making these two ingredient chocolate bird's nests. Especially in the spring around Easter. This is such a simple recipe, they are perfect to getting the kids involved.
I was in grade 4! Or as they say here, 4th grade. I'm thinking it might have been part of an Easter party. It was such a revelation that you could make something with so few ingredients! Two ingredients actually. Having grown up with a German mom who made everything from scratch, this was so novel! I don't think I even knew about cake mixes. No such thing in my house growing up. It's a sad state but I couldn't live without cake mixes now. These chocolate bird's nests were so easy and so delicious. I promptly went home and made a batch. All by myself. And my mom was actually happy not to have to drag out all the ingredients needed to make cookies. It was a little confusing to her that you didn't bake them. Actually, it was very confusing :).Print
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 large can of chow mien noodles (5 oz).
- Optional garnishes for your bird's nests (jelly beans, marshmallows etc.)
- Dump chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt at 50% power for 30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Add chow mein noodles. All of them! Stir gently
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the chocolate chow mien mixture onto parchment on a baking sheet.
- (you don't have to but it's so much easier to clean if you use parchment!).
- I'm sure you can do it neater than I can! Just try to make them shaped into a nest. And put a little dent in the top for your optional garnishes.
- Put them in the fridge so the chocolate hardens. That's it. You are done!
These are fun for the kids to help with. They will get a little covered in chocolate. But, they usually happily lick it off their hands.
I feel like I should add something else to make this a little more complicated. But it is just this simple. Obviously, you can put any kind of treat on top. I think when I made them at school we put peanuts on them. That wouldn't work so well now in schools with all the peanut allergies.