It seems we all get that pumpkin spice craving when summer is ending. And what better way to celebrate the season than with a batch of delicious pumpkin chocolate chip muffins? These muffins are moist, fluffy, and packed with flavor. This is a homemade recipe that is easy to make with simple ingredients.
The pumpkin adds a subtle sweetness, while the chocolate chips provide the perfect amount of richness and chocolate flavor. They're perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert, and they're sure to become a fall favorite. Some of my other favorite muffins include these pumpkin blueberry muffins or these banana chocolate muffins.
Table of contents
Why I love these muffins
- They're easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients.
- They're moist and filling.
- They're packed with flavor from the pumpkin, chocolate chips, and spices.
- They're perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- They're a great way to enjoy the fall season!
Ingredients - for the muffins
This recipe uses simple ingredients you may already have at home!
I use a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. It just feels a little bit healthier!
This is a great recipe to use pumpkin pie spice in. It saves you from finding various spices to come up with the same flavor. I make my easy pumpkin pie spice, and it's very easy. Part of why I like mixing my own is it helps me use up the spices I have so I can always rotate fresh spices into my spice drawer.
Use one 15 oz can of pure pumpkin. Make sure it's pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. I also reduced the amount of vegetable oil by using a whole can of pumpkin.
Sugar is used in the muffin and also in the crumble on top. I usually use white sugar.
Chocolate chips are a great flavor addition. I like milk chocolate chips.
If you add the crumble on top (and I suggest you do!), you need just a bit of sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and softened butter.
Ingredients - for the crumble
All-purpose flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and softened butter.
Flour - If you don't have whole wheat flour available, using all-purpose for all of the flour is fine.
Pumpkin Pie Spice - If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, substitute 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. I have made this with only cinnamon (1 ½ teaspoons), and although it doesn't taste like pumpkin spice, it is delicious!
Sugar - Packed brown sugar can be used instead of white sugar.
Chocolate Chips - I use milk chocolate but you can use your favorite type (semisweet, or dark).
Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. The recipe makes 12 full-sized muffins.
Stir together flour, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
In a separate bowl, mix together canned pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs.
Mix wet ingredients into dry. You can hand stir or use a hand mixer.
Add chocolate chips. Fold into batter.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick. When the toothpick comes out clean, muffins are done.
Crumble - If making a crumble, mix all the crumble and rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumble mixture on top - there is enough to be generous with each muffin!
Yes! Just substitute cranberries for the chocolate chips. If using a dried substitute as is. If using fresh cranberries, chop them at least in half.
They are healthier! They still have quite a bit of sugar but are lower in fat than a regular muffin (some pumpkin puree replaces the fat).
Other Delicious Muffins
Please come back and leave a 5 star rating!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins.
For the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can Pumpkin 15 oz can pure pumpkin
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
For the Muffins.
- Stir together flours, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin spice mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry until well mixed
- Add cup of chocolate chips and gently stir in.
- Mix all crumble ingredients together and rub together with fingers until mixture resembles course bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle Crumble on top. There is enough to be generous!
- I add a couple of chocolate chips right on top of the crumble so the chocolate chips are visible.
- Bake approximately 18-20 minutes. Test with toothpick to see if they are done.
Other alternatives are 1 teaspoon cinnamon plus ½ teaspoon nutmeg.
Using 1 ½ teaspoons cinnimon is also a delicious option (but the muffins will taste more like cinnamon and less like pumpkin spice).
Please pin to your Pinterest board.