This Lipton onion soup meatloaf recipe is what you need when you are looking for a delicious but easy meal to prepare for a weeknight or even a weekend dinner! Even my picky eaters love this meatloaf!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
The hands on prep. time is short then it goes into the oven for My family's favorite side is baked potatoes. Everyone always had a choice of delicious toppings!
Why I love this
- It's delicious and everyone in my family enjoyed eating it!
- This is an easy recipe with a limited number of ingredients.
- It's easy to adjust the flavor by adding more or less of the soup or seasonings.
- This is a frugal, inexpensive, cheap recipe. With grocery prices on the rise, that's important!
- Leftover meatloaf can easily be turned into another easy and flavorful meal. I'll share what I do with leftovers further below
- Did I mention this is quick to make?
2 ½ lbs ground meat. I prefer using half-ground chuck beef and ground pork. If you use meat that it too lean, your meatloaf will be dry. You can also use ground turkey or a lower-fat ground beef. However, make sure there is some fat in the meat mixture to keep the meatloaf moist.
1 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. There are usually two envelopes in a box. It's fine to use a different brand of onion soup mix. You will still have a flavorful meatloaf.
¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs. If I only have a seasoned Italian container at home, I will use that. If you only panko breadcrumbs in your pantry, use those.
¾ cup of water to mix into the dry breadcrumbs. This is often the difference between a dry or moist finished dish.
2 large eggs
⅔ cup ketchup divided (⅓ will go into the meatloaf, ⅓ will be used as a glaze)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. I often use this sauce when making a beef-based dish (that isn't Italian). I've seen many recipes where this is called the "secret ingredient". Not so secret anymore!
2 tablespoons of brown sugar (optional for the glaze)
Because you are using the soup mix packet, you do NOT need traditional classic meatloaf mix ingredients like carrots, celery, garlic or onions. By not having to chop or buy all these ingredients, this is what saves both time and money.
Any ground meat can be used. Just keep in mind the meatloaf will be dryer if the fat content is really low.
Other onion soup mixes can be used. This soup is just known by the Lipton's name so that is why I use it.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix ¾ cup water with breadcrumbs. Beat the two eggs.
Then mix all the ingredients listed with the exception of the ⅓ cup of ketchup and the brown sugar.
Can I share something with you? I'm not a fan of squishing ground meat between my fingers. I use gloves. It's easier, quicker to clean up and makes the prep. process faster in my opinion. I always make sure they are food prep. gloves.
Place into preheated oven.
Remove from oven at 1 hour and use ⅓ cup ketchup with the brown sugar mixed in as a glaze. Put back into oven for about 15 more minutes.
Total cook time takes about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. I check with a thermometer that the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Let meatloaf sit for about 10 minutes so the juices are redistributed prior to serving.
Use a high-sided roasting pan instead of a loaf or regular baking dish. It's smaller than my turkey roasting pan but I use it for so many things. I don't like the meatloaf sitting in grease as it cooks (so I have a rack) and I also don't like it splattering on the sides of my oven. Hate cleaning the oven! If you don't have a rack, use some crumpled aluminum foil until you get one.
Side dishes can be as flexible as you want to be. Choose whatever your family likes. I tend to vary what is served with this main dish.
How to store and reheat
If reheating cover in foil so it doesn't dry out.
This meatloaf will freeze well (up to 3 months). I wrap it in foil and then put it in a freezer bag.
Wrapped in the refrigerator, it's fine for 3-4 days.
The easiest is to reheat the meatloaf with leftover potatoes and veggies.
I also like to use meatloaf slices like a hamburger patty! Add some lettuce, sliced tomato and your regular hamburger condiments. It feels and tastes like a whole different meal! If you have a container of fried onions in your pantry, add those as a toping for some extra wonderful onion flavor!
Why this is a cost-saving (frugal) meal.
This is a hearty filling meal that is easy to make and helps you avoid buying takeout! Because you can buy a variety of different meats which may be on sale, that option saves you money! An even quicker meal that will prevent you from spending money on takeout or the fast food drive-through is this lazy lasagna meal. It also uses ground meat, is so easy to put together, and tastes delicious!
Delicious side dishes
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 package Onion Soup mix I use Lipton onion soup mix
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ¾ cup water to mix into breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup ketchup divided ⅓ will go into the meatloaf, ⅓ will be used as a glaze
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar optional for the glaze
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ¾ cup water with breadcrumbs. Beat the two eggs.
- Remove from oven at 1 hour and use ⅓ cup ketchup with the brown sugar mixed in as a glaze.
- Return to stove until cooked through. I use a simple meat thermometer and remove the lipton onion soup mix meatloaf from the oven once the meat is at 165 degrees.
- Total cook time takes about 1 hour and fifteen minutes.
- Let the meatloaf sit for about 10 minutes so the juices are redistributed prior to serving.
- Then mix all the ingredients listed with the exception of the ⅓ cup of ketchup and the brown sugar.
Nutrition information is an estimate only provided as a courtesy using an ingredient database. Garnish and optional ingredients are not included in the calculations.