This cheesy, well-seasoned ravioli lasagna, with a hearty helping of ground beef, hits the spot when you are looking for a delicious pasta dish. Easier, quicker and just as delicious as traditional lasagna! The huge helpful shortcut? Use cheese ravioli instead of cooking and layering lasagna noodles and cheese!
This lazy lasagna recipe is a cheap & frugal family meal that is delicious! This garlic bread recipe is the perfect side! Or, if you are looking for a fresh-tasting appetizer for your Italian dinner, make this bruschetta with fresh basil.
Why is this a favorite pasta recipe?
This is a simple recipe using mainly pantry ingredients. It is an easy meal. But it's delicious and it satisfies that Italian pasta craving.
When you get a craving for lasagna, this comes together quick. And, if you need to buy the ingredients, it's not many. You can also
1 (25 - 30 oz container) of fresh ravioli *
1 24 oz marinara pasta sauce
½ lb low-fat cooked hamburger crumbles
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
*Frozen ravioli works as well. You just need to add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread approx. ⅓ of pasta sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
Arrange a layer of ravioli in the dish in a single layer.
Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella evenly over the ravioli, followed by ¼ cup of the shredded parmesan.
Sprinkle all the cooked ground beef onto the cheese layer.
Top with ⅓ of pasta sauce. I just spoon it on evenly and lightly spread it out making sure to get the sauce in the corners and edges.
Add a second layer of ravioli, and cover with the remaining pasta sauce.
Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Wrap the top of the baking dish with sprayed foil.
Bake for 30 minutes then remove foil.
Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese starts to brown.
This is a recipe I make with the taste of lasagna (pasta, sauce and cheesy!), but wayyyyy less work. Quick, easy and certainly one of those dishes you can prepare beforehand. I call it cheater's lasagna and my kids know exactly what I'm making.
Helpful hints and substitutions
Instead of using hamburger meat, use ground chicken, turkey or a combination with your favorite sausage. This is an easy vegetarian dish too! Just leave out the meat and ensure the ravioli you buy is vegetarian.
I try to use fresh cheese ravioli. However, other ravioli flavors also work. In a pinch, I've also used tortellini, but those tend to be smaller and harder to layer. But if that's what you have at home, use it!
You can also up the vegetable content of this meal. Layer some fresh (or thawed drained) spinach. This is especially nice if you are making a vegetarian version.
This can be refrigerated in a covered container for 4 -5 days.
If freezing, ensure there is very little air in the container and keep it frozen for a maximum of 2 months.
Yes, just either allow to thaw prior to baking or bake a few minutes extra to get the dish hot.
I wouldn't. I don't think you will get the same result. You need the big kinds of ravioli!
Other Italian dishes and sides
Printable recipe for lazy lasagna
Lazy lasagna with ravioli
- 1 container ravioli 30 - 30 oz fresh ravioli
- 1 jar oz marinara pasta sauce 24 oz jar
- ½ lb hamburger crumbles cooked
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread approx. ⅓ of pasta sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of ravioli in the dish in a single layer.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella evenly over the ravioli, followed by ¼ cup of the shredded parmesan.
- Sprinkle all the cooked ground beef.
- Top with ⅓ of pasta sauce. I just spoon it on evenly and lightly spread it out making sure to get the sauce in the corners and edges.
- Add a second layer of ravioli, cover with the remaining pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese
- Wrap baking dish with sprayed foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese starts to brown.
Please pin to Pinterest.
Originally published January 2014. Updated numerous times : ).