Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or raisin) Cookies from scratch
These oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are amazing! I often make them with chocolate chips but sometimes I substitute raisins. Or, you can also do half and half if you have both raisin and chocolate chip fans in your house. This recipe is a scratch recipe but uses simple pantry items. It makes a big delicious batch and these cookies keep well.
I always feel oatmeal cookies are just a little bit healthier than the average cookie. Because of all the oatmeal in this recipe, of course! A whole three cups of oatmeal. I even use old fashioned oatmeal so it's even a touch healthier! My kids, on the other hand, aren't too impressed with the oatmeal. They do enjoy and eat the cookies, however, my oldest son once told me, "You are ruining a perfectly good chocolate chip cookie by adding oats". It's funny, they complain about the oatmeal but they sure do eat all these cookies!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Delicious but easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Filling and I convince myself these are healthy because of all the oatmeal in this recipe!!
- Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- ½ cup plus 6 tablespoon butter (almost 2 sticks)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups glorious oatmeal - uncooked (I use Quaker Oats - you can use quick or old fashioned)
- 1 cup (or more) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Beat butter and white and brown sugar until creamy
- Add eggs & vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir to mix dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture. Mix.
- Add oats and chocolate chips.
- You will need to stir or mix by hand.
- Cookies should be one rounded tablespoon. I LOVE this small scoop.
- Makes exactly 4 dozen cookies when I use it.
- Bake 7 ½ to 10 minutes. Pull out of the oven when starting to brown.
- Cool a couple of minutes on cookie sheet then remove and place on wire rack.
Recipe adapted from original Quaker Oats recipe: Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.
Just a couple of quick comments. These taste very good and make a big batch. There are easily 4 dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with this recipe. The little scoop really makes portioning the cookies easier. All the cookies are the same size and the whole process is less messy. This is an awesome recipe if you want to give some away. You can give lots of these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies away and still have some for yourself :).
If you would like a super simple recipe that uses only three ingredients and makes only about a dozen cookies, please take a look at my Three Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies. Uses peanut butter, sugar and an egg!
More Oatmeal Recipes