Butternut squash soup with leek
Butternut squash soup is my favorite soup in the whole world. I've had lots of butternut squash soups. But none as flavorful as this one. The bonus is this recipe is both easy and healthy! No cream added to this wonderful butternut squash soup!
It's the leeks. They add so much flavor. I am (surprisingly) not a big onion lover. But the leeks are an amazing addition to this soup.
This recipe has a great texture. Did I tell you I love this butternut squash soup! And, it's healthy too, without the need for a high-calorie cream addition.
How I store & freeze big batches of soup
I am loving homemade soups lately. And my husband loves them too. I've been freezing them in individual portions so that I can have them for lunch or even for/with dinner.
A 12 oz mason jar is a perfect size! And, I love these mason jar white reusable lids.
If you do decide to freeze soups and other liquids in mason jars, make sure you get a Wide-Mouth Funnel. It makes filling the jars so much easier and way less messy.
Now, here's a hint for freezing this and other liquids. Make sure you leave at least ½ inch, if not a bit more room space in the jar. Remember from science class, liquids expand? You want to give it enough room to do that.
Don't forget to garnish your soup if you are serving it to others. A little sour cream and some parsley leaves make your butternut squash soup and look pretty.Print
A flavorful and healthy butternut squash recipe. The sauteed leeks add an amazing depth of flavor to this delicious butternut squash soup. Perfect to start a fall meal or add a roll and it's perfect for lunch!
- 1 3 ½ large butternut squash (Size can vary by about ½ lb.)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium leeks (finely sliced, white part only (rinsed).)
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 oz)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 dashes chipotle group red pepper (optional)
- Sour cream as a garnish . (optional)
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds
- Put into a pan with ½ inch water
- Cover with tinfoil so water doesn't evaporate
- Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Stab with fork to see if soft. If not, bake a few more minutes until soft.
- When done, remove from oven. Set aside for a few minutes to cool a bit.
- While squash is cooling, sauté leeks in oil.
- Add chicken broth to sautéed leeks.
- Scoop out squash (no seeds!) and add to broth and leak mixture.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper and chipotle.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree with emersion blender (or carefully in a blender).
- Add a little sour cream on top as a garnish (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
Delicious with a little sour cream and a fresh roll or hearty piece of bread. This recipe has a great way to cook the butternut squash to make using it much simpler.
Keywords: squash soup with leek, healthy squash soup, fall soup
I've been making and freezing soups a lot these last couple of weeks. What is your favorite soup to freeze?
Love soups? Here are a few I've posted. Take a look!