I love these meatballs! It's actually the sauce that makes this meal delicious. I normally keep frozen meatballs handy, in case I want to make this. Because some days, you don't have time to plan!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
The sauce adds a ton of flavor. I often make a little (ok, a lot) extra because me kids love it with their rice.
It is easy to adjust the spiciness of this. We seem to always have sriracha sauce in the house and this sauce isn't as spicy to my kids. The recipe I am giving you, is fairly mild. But, I'm happy to have it mild rather than flavorless. Finally, our kids are experimenting and enjoying different foods and flavors!
If you and your family like spicier flavors, add a little extra sriracha. I bring it to the table because my husband adds extra to his.
Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs.
- 1½ lbs frozen plain meatballs not with Italian seasoning
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 ½ TBS soy sauce
- 2 ½ cups pineapple juice
- 1 ½ TBS cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- 1 cup pineapple chunks without the juice
- Your favorite rice - I make 4 cups for 4 people.
- Use a large skillet
- Mix following together and heat to a steady simmer: brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and 2 cups pineapple juice (reserve ½ cup pineapple juice).
- Whisk cornstarch into the reserved pineapple juice.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into hot mixture.
- Add sriracha hot sauce.
- Add meatballs and heat until they are heated through. It's quicker if you put a lid on the pot and stir occasionally. It will take about 10-15 minutes, depending if the meatballs are frozen or not.
- Add pineapple chunks just before serving. Cook for about a minute so they are hot.
- Serve meatballs with sweet and sour sauce over rice.
Nutrition information is an estimate only provided as a courtesy using an ingredient database. Garnish and optional ingredients are not included in the calculations.
This is an easy recipe to whip up. Just make sure you keep some frozen meatballs on hand. All the other ingredients are pantry ingredients for me. Makes this one of those 'go to' recipes on busy nights.
Did you know I pin all of my food recipes to one Pinterest Board? Come take a look at my Pinterest Boards and please do follow me!