Chicken tacos! These are so flavorful and easy to make. Let the crockpot do the cooking and when you are ready to eat, it's just a few minutes to put everything together.
This is the perfect meal to prepare when everyone has a different schedule. Or, when you come home and need to put dinner on the table in just a few minutes. Let the crockpot do the work before everyone gets home. Then, everyone can assemble their own tacos with their favorite toppings. If you prefer shredded beef, here is my recipe for a great slow cooker shredded beef plus 5 ways you can serve it!
Table of contents
Why I love making these
- These are great for a busy day. Let the slow cooker do the work. Assemble your favorite toppings and have a flavorful and healthy meal for everyone.
- Is everyone on a different schedule? Sports practices can make having a sit down dinner with everyone practically impossible. This is a perfect meal when everyone is running in a different direction. Everyone can help themselves to the shredded chicken and their favorite toppings.
- I stock up on chicken when it's on sale. This is the perfect way to make a big but inexpensive meal for the family.
- Picky eaters can choose their favorite toppings. It makes life easy!
- This is a great meal when having friends over to watch sports games. It's a nice change from chili.
- Slow cooker meals are great in the summer because they don't heat up the house. They are also great in the winter because it's a nice hot meal!
Chicken breasts (about 3 pounds). This is enough to cover the bottom of a full sized slow cooker. I buy them when they are on sale and freeze them so that meals like this are inexpensive. Thaw before using.
1 package of your favorite taco seasoning. If using bulk or homemade taco seasoning, often 3 tablespoons is the equivalent of a packet.
Salsa. Use your favorite salsa from a jar (store bought)
Pico de Gallo. This is a fresh salsa that is often sold in the deli department of a grocery store. It usually contains tomatos, onions, peppers, lime juice and cilantro.
Lime juice. The juice of a ½ of a juicy larger lime is what is needed.
Tortillas - buy the small ones. They can either be corn or wheat.
Variations and Substitions
If using only jarred sala, just use 2 cups instead of 1.
If using pico de gallo and no salsa, use 2 cups plus ½ cup of water. Pico de gallo is not as watery.
Any type of tortilla that you would like works. Recently the smaller walking taco size tortillas have been available at my grocery store. These would make a more appetizer size taco. Hard tacos are also a perfect option.
The best part of any tacos are the toppings! My family favorites include:
- diced tomatos
- shredded lettuce
- Pico de Gallo
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Add salsa, pico de galla, taco seasoning and lime juice into bottom of slowcooker and stir together.
Add chicken breast. Make sure they are well covered with the salsa mixture. Just nestle them all in there. I find I can get them all in a layer on the bottom of the crock pot. If not, that's fine!
Turn crockpot on low and cook chicken for 4 - 6 hours.
At least ½ hour prior to serving, shred chicken either in the pot or remove, shred and return to pot. There will be a fair amount of liquid in the slow cooker. Heat for approx. ½ hour. The shredded chicken will aborb the flavored liquid!
I use my large serving forks to shred the chicken. The larger size make shredding easier and quicker.
Prepare and assemble toppings while shredded chicken is getting reheated. Place onto a tray so everyone can help themselves. I use ramicans or small bowls for most toppings to keep the liquids contained and for a neater look.
Other Easy Mexican Inspired Meals
Shredded chicken tacos
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa use a traditions picante salsa
- 1 cup pico de gallo I use store bought
- 3 Tbls lime juice ½ of a lime
- 20 small Tortilla shells or crunchy taco shells
- lettuce tomatos, salsa, sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Add lime juice, water taco seasoning and salsa into crockpot.
- Add chicken
- Turn on crockpot on low for approximately 6 hours.
- About and hour before serving, shred chicken.
- Add back to crockpot and stir well to mix shredded chicken with the salsa/taco sauce.
- Assemble tray with assorted toppings including lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, chopped fresh tomatos. Everyone can help themselves.
- Grab your tortillas or taco shells and assemble.
Please pin to your Pinterest account.
Originally published January 12, 2014.