Tired of dry, bland chicken nights? All you need is a squeeze of lemon, a splash of soy sauce, a hint of oregano, and a drizzle of olive oil to transform your chicken into a Mediterranean masterpiece. This recipe is perfect for beginner cooks and busy weeknights, requiring minimal prep and maximum flavor. Let's marinate and get cooking!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
This is my go-to quick and easy marinade when life it busy. You can even marinade your chicken for as little as 30 minutes while you are prepping the rest of your meal. This easy marinade is flavorful, and quick! Perfect for a weeknight meal. The roasted broccoli is such a easy, delicious and healthy side too!
My Easy Pork Chop marinade is a similar type of marinade. My kids weren't a fan of pork chops until we started using this!
Table of contents
Why I love this recipe
Simple Ingredients, Maximum Flavor: Only 4 pantry staples needed for restaurant-worthy taste!
Effortless Prep: Whip up the marinade in minutes, leaving more time for you.
Use any cooking method: Grill, bake, or pan-fry or air fry – this marinade works flawlessly for any cooking method.
Flavor Powerhouse: The lemon, soy sauce, oregano, and olive oil combo creates a depth that elevates your chicken.
Beginner-Friendly: No fancy techniques, just easy flavor – perfect for new cooks or those of us just in a hurry.
Customizable - add a touch of garlic, honey, or red pepper flakes for a unique twist!
- Two large chicken breasts, sliced so you have a total of 4 thin chicken filets. Chicken thighs are also a great alternative. I don't cut those, but I will pound them just a little so they are little more flat.
- Juice of ½ a lemon. I have also used a lime if I didn't have a lemon handy.
- Soy Sauce - this adds salt to the recipe. Using a
- Olive oil or any neutral oil (do not use extra virgin olive oil)
- Oregano - You can substitute any other seasoning that you and your family love. If you want the chicken just mildly flavored, use only salt and pepper.
Instructions to Air Fry Chicken Breasts
In a freezer bag, add the 4 chicken filets. Add olive oil, soy sauce, oregano and juice of lemon. Allow to marinate at least ½ an hour. Ideally 2-4 hours is best. This is a quick and simple marinade.
Preheat your airfryer a couple of minutes at 400°F
In an air fryer rack, cook for 8 minutes. If your chicken breasts are thicker or not filleted in ½, then it will take longer. I always cut into a thick part to ensure the meat is no longer pink.
Flip the chicken half way through cooking (at 4 minutes). Using a air fryer tray like I have, it isn't an issue if you don't flip the chicken.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Then serve with easy sides. When making a quick meal, I usually just serve with just vegetables.
Absolutely! Heat your grill to a medium high temperature, and grill approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. The time it takes will vary due to the temperature of the grill and the thickness of the meat.
This can be made using the lemon, soy, oil and then just a bit of salt. There is some salt in the soy so use a limited amount. The chicken will be tender and moist without the seasoned taste.
I ususally make a small cut into a thicker area to make sure the juices run clear and that the chicken is no longer pink.
If checking with a thermometer, the internal temperature should be 165°F.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerate either wrapped or in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
If well wrapped, these will freeze well. Use within 3 months.
To reheat, allow frozen chicken to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. I prefer reheating in my airfryer at 400°F for a few minutes (4-5 minutes usually works). Watch closely to not overcook.
What to serve with chicken and other marinades
Easy Chicken Marinade
- 2 chicken breast fillet in half
- ½ lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or other neutral oil (not extra virgin oil)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce use lower sodium type if watching salt levels
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- In a plastic bag, add chicken and all other ingredients. Massage marinade and seasoning onto chicken.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for a couple of minutes then place chicken breasts on air fryer rack. Cook 4 minutes on each side. Cut into a piece to check if juices run clear and if chicken is no longer pink. Cooked internal temperature of chicken should be 165°F
- Rest chicken for 3-5 minutes, then serve with easy sides.
Storage and ReheatingRefrigerate either wrapped or in a sealed container for up to 3 days. If well wrapped, these will freeze well. Use within 3 months. To reheat, allow frozen chicken to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. I prefer reheating in my airfryer at 400°F for a few minutes (4-5 minutes usually works). Watch closely to not overcook.
Nutrition information is an estimate only provided as a courtesy using an ingredient database. Garnish and optional ingredients are not included in the calculations.