Like many people, I'm trying to eat healthier. But the food needs to taste delicious, be easy to make and use simple ingredients.
It took a couple of tries, but I love this soup recipe!
Baby Kale and Chickpea Soup (vegan)
This is a flavorful and healthy soup plus it is vegan (as long as you don't add the optional cheese). Love the baby kale and found it in my local grocery store. It comes in a plastic container, usually near where the prebagged salads are. The baby kale looks similar to spinach but holds up better to being simmered in soup.
5 oz container of baby kale
2 - 15 oz cans of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
12.5 ounce can flavored diced tomatoes (I used Red Gold basil, garlic & oregano)
2 - 32 ounces containers of vegetable soup broth (the boxes)
½ chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredient tips and substitutions
A couple of notes about the ingredients. I prefer the regular stock, not the low sodium. However, if you are on a low salt diet, use low sodium stock.
If not making this soup as a vegan soup, use chicken stock or chicken broth.
Chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans. If you don't have any handy, a can of any white bean would be a good substitute.
Parmesan cheese was used to garnish the soup in some of the images. Cheese is not considered vegan.
If you cook with a lot of garlic, I love using a garlic press. I have this garlic press and have used it for over a dozen years now.
In a dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and when hot (medium heat to medium high heat), add and saute the onion. I love using my dutch oven for soups. After approx 3 - 4 minutes (when the onion is tender), add minced garlic, stir often for a minute or two.
Add the two containers of vegetable broth, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to get the flavorful bits to release.
Add chickpeas and flavored diced tomatoes to vegetable broth.
Bring all ingredients to a simmer and cook for 10 - 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. A little tip - the baby kale looks deliciously bright green if you cook it a few minutes less.
If you are looking for more healthier plant-based recipes, try this easy cabbage and vegetable soup. You'll love it
Baby kale and chickpea soup with tomatoes
- 1 dutch oven
- 5 oz kale baby kale is best
- 15 oz chickpeas two cans - also known as garbanzo beans
- 12.5 ounce diced tomatoes I used Red Gold basil, garlic & oregano
- 32 ounces vegetable soup broth the boxe
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 oz parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- In a dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and when hot (medium heat to medium high heat), add and saute the onion. I love using my dutch oven for soups. After approx 3 - 4 minutes (when the onion is tender), add minced garlic, stir often for a minute or two.
- Add the container of vegetable broth, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to get the flavorful bits to release.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 15-10 minutes.
- Serve with optional grated cheese on top.
Other favorite soup recipes