I’ve made this easy and quick cherry coffee cake a few times now. It is really good. It’s one of those recipes you can whip up quickly and easily as long as you keep a couple of the key ingredients in your pantry.
I decided to try to make one after I bought a little coffee cake in the grocery store. It was gone in a couple of hours. And, when I threw out the empty package, I noticed the price. Yeah, I paid the price for convenience!
But sometimes, a dessert just looks sooooooo good! I found a couple of cherry coffee cake recipes and simplified them for you!
This cherry coffee cake recipe is easy and starts with a cake mix. You just need to add a few ingredients and then layer the dough, the cherry pie filling and then glob on some of the rest of the dough. It looks really good, even before it is baked.
Yes, this recipe is a huge success with my family. It makes a great sized pan so can serve a crowd. It’s light and fruity and perfect to bring along when you need a dessert to share.Print
A delicious but easy recipe with a beautiful pop of red. This cherry coffee cake can be made quickly and appeals to young and old alike!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 20 oz can cherry pie filling ((careful, some of the cherries had pits))
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar (aka icing sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Spray 15 x 10 x 1 pan. I then put parchment paper on the bottom and then spray the parchment paper. Totally optional!
- Mix cake mix, vegetable oil, water vanilla and eggs. You can either use a hand mixer or give it a really good stir.
- Set aside about 3/4 cup of cake dough
- Spread the rest of the cake dough on the pan. It is a thin layer.
- I have started gently mushing the cherries. My kids have found the odd pit in the canned cherries.
- Gently spread the cherry filling over the dough layer
- Using a tablespoon, drop the dough you’ve set aside onto the cherry filling
- Gently spread your ‘dough drops’.
- There should be gaps so you can see the cherry filling.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Check with toothpick for doneness.
- Cool for about 1 hour
- Mix powdered sugar, 3 tsp milk and vanilla. Drizzle on the cherry coffee cake.
- I cut this into 24 good sized pieces.
I hope you agree that this is an easy cherry coffee cake. And no, you absolutely don’t need to like coffee. My teens were asking why it’s called coffee cake. I had to explain that in the ‘olden days’ people socialized more at each other’s homes. They would have a coffee and a dessert, hence the name. But, I digress. This recipe is absolutely delicious. If you like this recipe (because it tastes good, looks good and is easy to make), you will like the following recipes too!
The recipes below are all recipes I make with items I have at home. When I want something that tastes good, and I am running low on time.Momcrieff - Home page