- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 lb butter (2 sticks
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Cream together softened butter with icing sugar. Yes, that means you need to take the butter out and let it warm to room temperature. If you forget, cut the butter into smaller pieces so it warms quicker.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add vanilla and make sure it's well incorporated.
- Roll out dough to about 1/3 thickness. It is easier if you roll out the dough on parchment paper or some other non-stick surface.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies (or a glass or whatever you have around). I love my cutter since there is no unused ought between the cookie cuts. My cookie cutter is about 1 inch by 2 1/2 inches and my baking time is perfect for that. If your cookies are smaller, you need a little less time. Larger, a little more time.
- Bake 10 minutes, watching closely. Shortbread cookies don't look very different when they are baked. When they just start browning on the bottom, they are done. That's when they start, not when they are!
- Add chocolate drizzle, if you like. I melted about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe small glass bowl. About 30 seconds then stir. Repeat until smooth when stirred. Now scrape the chocolate into a plastic baggie and cut a little hole in the corner. Squeeze your chocolate onto your cookies.
- Refrigerate if you want the chocolate to harden quickly