- 6 Round Steaks – 6 pieces (1/2thin 4 x 6 inches)
- Celery sticks (cut to fit roulade. 1 stick per.)
- Carrot stick (cut to fit. 1 stick per)
- Sweet Butter Chip Pickles – 2 per roulade.
- 2 slices Bacon – about 1/3 slice per roulade – cut to fit
- Onions – sliced – more or less to taste
- leaves Bay (optional)
- Purchase and prepare round steak. What you want is about 6 pieces of round steak that are 1/2 inch thick and about 4 x 6 inches (after you have cut meat).
- I cut through the meat to make it much thinner. It still didn’t seem that thin so I pounded it a bit more to thin it.
- Place a piece of bacon, carrot, celery, some onion, and two butter sweet pickle chips on the meat.
- Take end and start rolling tightly.
- Securely tie with baker’s twine. I tied the roll together in two or three spots and also went around the open ends, tucking any loose ends under the twine.
- Each Rouladen needs to be browned. I did 3 per batch because you don’t want to crowd them. Count on about 10 minutes to brown all sides for each batch.
- When all have been browned, remove and use a little wine to deglaze and scrap up the yummy bits. Put all rouladen into duty oven or casserole dish where they are fairly snug.
- Add enough water to cover. I actually had some beef broth in the fridge so I did half beef broth, half water. Cover with lid and cook in oven for about 2 hours. Check the meat and it should be really tender when done.