- 3 or 4 racks of ribs (orig. recipe states back ribs.)
- Seasoned salt (we use Red Robin but Lawry’s is great too!)
- 1 spanish onion (I use sweet onions)
- 1 – 2 litre bottle root beer
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- BBQ sauce – use your favorite!
- Preheat oven to 275 Fahrenheit
- Score the membrane of the back side of the rib rack in a diamond shape. Sounds harder than it is!
- Season the ribs with your favorite seasoned salt.
- Spread sliced onions on the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- If ribs overlap or need to be layered, that’s OK!
- Add 1 tablespoon vanilla to the bottle of root beer.
- Pour the root beer & vanilla mixture over the ribs. Yes, ALL of it!
- Cover with a lid (or, if you don’t have a lid, cover tightly with tin foil.
- Bake for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- After they are done baking, they look like this.
- And smell like this:
- (just kidding, I’d share the smell if I could 🙂 ).
- Carefully move the ribs to a big jelly roll sheet (I use two tongs). Make sure they are meat side UP.
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Then bake in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit. Baste with more sauce if your family is the saucy kind.
- If you can get to your grill, grill each side about 6-8 minutes, basting with more sauce when needed.
- Cut between every third rib. ENJOY!
- Don’t forget the napkins!