- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup super fine sugar (regular sugar is ok but you need to beat longer)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Food coloring (I used 12 drops of yellow & 4 drops of red to get the pastel orange. If you want darker, I would recommend going to a gel food color.
- Preheat to 225 Fahrenheit
- Line baking pan with silicone mat or Parchment paper
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until foamy
- (Best to use a stand mixer. A hand mixer works, just takes a little longer)
- Add sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time, to egg white mixture, beating constantly. Beat to dissolve sugar before adding more sugar.
- After mixture reaches the stiff peak stage, add vanilla and food coloring.
- Beat until well mixed in.
- Bake at 225 Fahrenheit for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off but leave meringues in the oven for at least 2 – 3 hours. (I leave them in overnight).
- Store in a sealed container. Waxed paper is recommended between layers.
- Adapted from a recipe at Incredibleegg.org (lots of tips there if you have never made meringues before).