A delicious but easy recipe with a beautiful pop of red. This cherry coffee cake can be made quickly and appeals to young and old alike!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 20 oz can cherry pie filling ((careful, some of the cherries had pits))
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar (aka icing sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Spray 15 x 10 x 1 pan. I then put parchment paper on the bottom and then spray the parchment paper. Totally optional!
- Mix cake mix, vegetable oil, water vanilla and eggs. You can either use a hand mixer or give it a really good stir.
- Set aside about 3/4 cup of cake dough
- Spread the rest of the cake dough on the pan. It is a thin layer.
- I have started gently mushing the cherries. My kids have found the odd pit in the canned cherries.
- Gently spread the cherry filling over the dough layer
- Using a tablespoon, drop the dough you’ve set aside onto the cherry filling
- Gently spread your ‘dough drops’.
- There should be gaps so you can see the cherry filling.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Check with toothpick for doneness.
- Cool for about 1 hour
- Mix powdered sugar, 3 tsp milk and vanilla. Drizzle on the cherry coffee cake.
- I cut this into 24 good sized pieces.