A flavorful and healthy butternut squash recipe. The sauteed leeks add an amazing depth of flavor to this delicious butternut squash soup. Perfect to start a fall meal or add a roll and it’s perfect for lunch!
- 1 3 1/2 large butternut squash (Size can vary by about 1/2 lb.)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium leeks (finely sliced, white part only (rinsed).)
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 oz)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 dashes chipotle group red pepper (optional)
- Sour cream as a garnish . (optional)
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds
- Put into a pan with 1/2 inch water
- Cover with tinfoil so water doesn’t evaporate
- Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Stab with fork to see if soft. If not, bake a few more minutes until soft.
- When done, remove from oven. Set aside for a few minutes to cool a bit.
- While squash is cooling, sauté leeks in oil.
- Add chicken broth to sautéed leeks.
- Scoop out squash (no seeds!) and add to broth and leak mixture.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper and chipotle.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree with emersion blender (or carefully in a blender).
- Add a little sour cream on top as a garnish (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
Delicious with a little sour cream and a fresh roll or hearty piece of bread. This recipe has a great way to cook the butternut squash to make using it much simpler.
Keywords: squash soup with leek, healthy squash soup, fall soup