- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz marshmallows (use fresh ones!)
- 6 cups Cheerio cereal
I still put these together the old fashioned way – with a big pot on the stove. I know many people do this on the microwave. Check the recipe link on the bottom of this post for microwave directions.
- Melt butter in a big pot on low heat. Do not let it scorch.
- Add a 10 oz bag of marshmallows. Hint – small ones melt faster!
- Stir and stir again. Watch the heat and make sure you don’t scorch the butter and marshmallows.
- Add 6 cups of Cheerios
- Stir to thoroughly coat the Cheerios with the marshmallows.
- Dump into a 11 x 13 dish which has been treated with a non-stick spray.
- I put my hand in a plastic baggie, spray with Pam and then flatten the treats into the pan.
- All done!
But, don’t you think it looks boring! Not exciting and doesn’t shout “this is an awesomely delicious treat”. I knew I had some chocolate in my pantry.
- Melt about 2/3 of a cup of chocolate in a microwave save bowl (20 seconds at a time then stir – repeat until chocolate is smooth)
- Pour into a small plastic baggie and make a tiny cut at the corner. Drizzle over your Cheerio marshmallow treats.