Cowboy caviar is the perfect salad for the summer! It’s actually pretty delicious as a dip using tortilla chips.
- The best part of this recipe is you can add only what you like!
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have/like)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (or 1/2 cilantro & 1/2 parsley) – finely chopped
- Green onions
- Mix marinade in a jar so you can shake it (or small bowl so you can stir it).
- I like the taste of onion but not biting into a raw onion. I add thinly sliced onions to the marinade but discard the onions prior to pouring over the bean/corn mixture.
- Let the mixture sit for about 1/2 hour (stir or shake every few minutes)
- Dump corn, black beans and black eyed peas in a bowl.
- Don’t those black eyed peas look like beans??
- Mix these three together.
- After marinade sits for a bit, pour over black bean mixture. Stir regularly so that marinade coats everything. Let the beans and marinade become friends for at least a couple of hours before serving. Personally, I’d make this the day before.
- The bean/marinade mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for about a week. I bet longer but I just don’t want to try 🙂
- Extras can be added! Add fresh just prior to serving.
- When we love more flavor and variety. Avocado, onions, tomatoes and red peppers.