One more pretty planter to look at and then I have provided you with the list of advice given to me by my friends. I summarized the advice for you. If you follow it, you will have amazing flower planters too!
Now, I did promise you tips and hints.
1. Everyone seems to be a fan of Miracle Grow. And, they use it more frequently than the directions state. It’s commonly mixed at the strength recommended on the bag, but fed every one to two weeks. Because our season is so short and the planters can only hold so much.
2. Water frequently. Especially during the hot and sunny days. It was not uncommon for some of these plant lovers to water a couple of times a day during a heat spell.
3. Trim those plants. The last couple of petunia pictures were taken on Sept. 7th. They were still going strong when most other’s were scraggly and droopy. They were cut back about two weeks prior. And, I was also told to make sure to regularly trim the sweet potato vines. They looks so much better when it isn’t dragging on the ground.
4. Beware the sun. Sometimes, the planters need to be pulled into shadier areas to give them a little break.
5. Deadhead. A must for geraniums. Even petunias benefit from deadheading. It doesn’t take long if you do it regularly.
6. Lastly, but one of the most important tips. Buy great plants from a good source. A weak looking plant never seems to do really well. Make sure you buy healthy looking plants from a reliable source. Not sure where a good spot is to buy? Ask your neighbors, who have plants you admire, where they buy their plants.
7. People that have beautiful planters aren’t “lucky”. They do something for them almost every day.